Friday, July 24, 2015

Timeless Tales Magazine Opens for Submissions Again Very Soon.. (Psst! The Tale To Twist Is Baba Yaga!)

Here's a Public Service Announcement from Tahlia Kirk, editor of Timeless Tales Magazine:

Here ye, here ye! We will soon be opening submissions again. Here are the bare minimum facts, but for goodness sake, please read our full submission guidelines before submitting: http://www.timelesstalesmagazine.com/#!submissions/c1vmu 
  • All accepted writers will receive $15 for their stories.
  • Length: Up to 2,000 words. Under 1,500 preferred.
  • We have received some of our best stories from previously unpublished writers, so don't be shy!
This time, our theme is that most infamous of witches: Baba Yaga. This is a theme picked by TT's readers and I'll admit that I'm a bit nervous because I don't have a strong background with Eastern European folklore. For our last issue, we had several highly scholarly stories that pulled on obscure details from Greek mythology and I was pretty proud that I could track with most of them. But this time, I've been boning up on my research because I want to be prepared for whatever our writers might throw at me.

I'm excited, though! There may be a ton of witch stories out there, but there aren't many Baba Yaga specific novels/movies, so there's lots of untapped potential here. Here are a few ideas you might use:

1. Baba Yaga/Little Mermaid mashup (perhaps a tad obvious, but could still be awesome)
2. Sci-fi Baba Yaga (because I would love to see her chicken house as a chicken space ship or something)
3. Baba Yaga as a Western 
4. Ivan and the Beanstalk 
5.  Baba Yaga as a Genie/Djinn
6. How Cinderella might have ended differently if her fairy godmother had been Baba Yaga

Think outside the box. Challenge yourself. Be bold. SUBMIT!!! (Errr, that came out more dictatorial than intended, but you get the idea). 

FTNH: Someone please write Number 6. I totally want to read that!

No comments:

Post a Comment