Monday, March 16, 2015

"Song Of The Sea" To Be Released on DVD & Blu-ray St. Patrick's Day!

I couldn't make it to any of the showings in LA, so sadly I've missed the opportunity of a big screen experience (at least until there's another special showing) but nevertheless I am really looking forward to seeing this. If the watching experience is anything like The Secret Of Kells, it won't be long before I forget where I'm watching anyway.
I'm so very glad this film got nominated for an Academy Award so it's fairly widely known already.
This and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya seem to have people talking more and more about folktales again. I've even noticed that shift in many of the articles (by non-Disney-allied media) about Cinderella too. They're either about the costumes or are looking at the variety of Cinderella stories and why we're still telling that story today. That's very different from just a couple of years ago.
For Song Of The Sea, I'm curious to see all the old and 'new' folklore blended in as well as see how they handle a selkie story. One of the best made family fairy tale films I know is The Secret Of Roan Inish - a quiet but gorgeous film that isn't at all flashy but still has a very strong sense of magic. High time I dusted that one off and showed it around again!

The medium for Song Of The Sea is different, of course, but it sounds just as down to earth in many ways and that can only be a good thing.

You can currently pre-order this from Amazon at a special price, so that's great if you can take advantage before it's released on March 17th as well, otherwise, go grab yourself a little Irish gem for St. Patrick's Day!

Here are the Special Features we can look forward to:
  • Audio Commentary with Director Tomm Moore
  • Behind the Scenes with Optional Commentary from Director Tomm Moore
  • Animation Tests with Optional Commentary from Director Tomm Moore
  • The Art of Song of the Sea
  • Conceptual Trailer
  • U.S. Trailers
Now I just need a 'Making Of' book please!

3 comments:

  1. Great! I'll definitely buy this for my niece. Although, I should probably wait until she's older. Right now she can only speak Welsh, but I'm sure she'll understand some English by the time she's 5 - 6 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful movie. It was surprisingly stunning, despite the style that differs greatly from most Ghibli films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer D. BushroeMarch 23, 2015 at 12:10 PM

    I loved how the drawings/animation had such texture, and the music was fabulous. But…there were a lot of plot holes, and a lot of questions raised that were never answered. All these questions kept tumbling in my head and took me out of the magic of the story a bit, but I still really enjoyed it. I’d be interested in hearing your take, Gypsy, when you do get around to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete