Monday, January 19, 2015

Ask Baba Yaga: How Can I Make Peace With Death?

Ivan Ivanov-Vano, The Magic Lake, 1979

A big, and often scary, topic today: our personal D-day. How do you deal with it's inevitability? It's rare to find a completely satisfactory answer but I have to admit I'm curious as to what Baba Yaga has to say (as long as it's more than "it's gonna happen, deal with it - or don't. It's gonna happen...").

This question and answer (via poet and oracle Taisia Kitaiskaia* of The Hairpin):
(Originally posted at The Hairpin HERE)

Um. Wow. All those metaphors of bread and body, bread representing basic living, bread being symbolic of life.. they're all flooding back to me in a new way. That makes it seem so simple to death with the idea of mortality.. which I guess it is. It just isn't necessarily easy. I have to go pay better attention to my loaf(ing).

What do you think of Baba Yaga's advice?

Want to ask Baba Yaga a question of your own?
You can!
There's now an email address where you can send your questions
directly to Baba Yaga herself.
AskBabaYaga AT gmail DOT com
To encourage Baba Yaga to continue imparting her no-bones-about-it wisdom (ok, there may be some gristle in there... bones too), I suggest we not to leave her box empty... 

Thank you Baba Yaga (& Taisia).


Taisia Kitaiskaia is a poet, writer, and Michener Center for Writers fellow. Born in Russia and raised in America, she's had her poems and translations published in Narrative Magazine, Poetry International, and others.

1 comment:

  1. I love Baba Yaga so much--each and every one of her columns is fantastic! Please keep 'em coming. :)

    ReplyDelete