Monday, December 12, 2011

Snow White by Jasmin Darnell

Snow White by Jasmin Darnell a.k.a. yasahime
After my little rant about bad illustrations in my previous post I simply had to put up something beautiful. I found this lovely illustration quite a while ago and it immediately came to mind as a gorgeous contrast and an example of how the illustrations mentioned could have been handled, inspiring kids and grown ups everywhere to go find beautiful fairy tale books of their own to read. This illustration isn't even considered complete, according to the artist's notes!

This Kiwi artist is only just getting going in her career and I wish her the best of luck in her plans to illustrate anthologies of children's literature. I'd love to see what she comes up with. While we wait for that to happen ;), she has a small Etsy shop HERE and a gallery on deviantArt HERE.

And speaking of beautiful illustration, here are just a few of my favorite illustrated collections of fairy tales (as one might suspect, I have many!), other than my Lang and multiple Dover collections, which I adore (H.J. Ford is one of my favorite illustrators of all time). These covers are in no particular order and are really just the first few I pulled off my (currently very mixed-up) shelves:


This I like because there are so many world tales in the book & the illustrations are like complete story murals all by themselves.



What are some of your favorite illustrated fairy tale volumes?

2 comments:

  1. ooooh...dulac's generally, my favorite being his illustration of "the firebird".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is indeed a lovely rendering of Snow White.

    ReplyDelete